Saturday, June 28, 2014

Day 16: Eastern Kentucky

Finally crossed into Kentucky yesterday. 


Eastern Kentucky is very different from Virginia. Pikesville county is the "energy capital of America". Coal country. 


Poverty is rampant in this part of the country. Most people we meet are very friendly and it's unfortunate that economic circumstances that they have little control over are screwing them over.

Terrain is very mountainous. Definitely in Appalachia. The new lower gears in my bicycle allow me to climb almost all the mountains without having to walk, but this is still very difficult cycling. Flying down these mountains at 40+ miles an hour screaming Iike a madman is awesome. I'll have to try to take a video one of these days. 


George and I


Cat, being a sweetheart as always


Willy, plotting our route


Cool valley pass

I bought a stray cat a can of cat food and rolled it over to him. I'd like to think we made a friend. 


The only water source within miles smelled like rotten eggs. Sulpher in the water- still had to drink it

Tonight we are staying in Hazard, Kentucky and are cycling to Boonsville tomorrow 

Also, Kentucky is America's dog bite capital. I've been chased by dogs on four occasions. Most of the time they stop when you yell at them. One mutt that got too close got a face full of bear strength pepper spray. Sorry buddy. 

Final thought: This trip is one of the most challenging things I've ever done. I have no doubt that I can do it, (as long as my knee holds up) but I seriously underestimated how physically challenging and taxing it would be to ride 50+ miles daily through mountainous terrain in high heat and humidity. Yesterday I came close to heat exhaustion and had to rest at the side of the road for 15 minutes. We've had to brave truck traffic and narrow shoulders. My left knee has been giving me pain and I've taken three days off from riding because of it. Even now I can't ride at 100% because I need to be careful not to reinjure it. Eating well, staying organized, being rested, and staying healthy is all a challenge. That said, there's really no place I'd rather be. I've met wonderful people, bonded with my fellow riders, seen breathtaking sights, and experienced America first hand. I have a whole lot of respect for the people who have done this route before me, especially before it was mapped out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment