Thursday, June 19, 2014

Day 6: Crossing the Appalachians (Greenwood, VA to Vesuvius, VA)


Today we rode 40 miles and crossed the Appalachian mountains. It was definitely one of the most physically demanding things I've done in my life. 

Started out with a 6 mile long steep incline along Blue Ridge Highway



One of the two things that motivated me today (not counting the absurd amount of caffeine) was the incredible views along this ride. My iphone can't do them justice. Mountains as far as the eye could see with fields and farms below. Birds of prey in the sky above us and deer darting back and forth across the road ahead. 


Stopped at a tiny museum and got a local history lesson


The other thing that motivated me was this tough as nails 69 year old kicking my ass on the hills. One of the funniest, kindest, and most determined people I've ever met, it's been a pleasure hanging out with George this past week



We also ran into a man from Germany, Jeffrey, just finishing up his cross country bike trip. He started from San Fransisco and headed east. He spoke hardly any English- it takes some nerve to cross America by bicycle alone and speaking another language

Fortunately, for every three mile ascent there was an equally long descent. The downhills were a blast and my rims/brakes were so hot by the bottom that you couldn't even touch them. At times I was keeping up with motorcyclists. Flying 3 miles down a mountain on a bicycle going 40 miles an hour is an incredible feeling. The last descent was full of hairpin turns and extremely steep. I wish I had taken a video of the ride down. At one point I pulled over for 10 minutes just to let my rims cool so my brakes would keep working. I loved it; George said it was the "scariest and most difficult thing he's ever down in his life". 

Tonight we're camped in a pavilion behind a baptist church, in the middle of nowhere. Today was a very challenging but very rewarding day, and from here on out the cycling should be a lot easier. It took us about 10 hours to cross the mountains. Tomorrow should be an easier day and I might even have the chance to get some adjustments done to my bike. As always, thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment