Sunday, June 15, 2014

Logistics

A lot of people have been wondering about the logistics of my trip. A lot went into it but I'll give a short rundown. 

First off, I'm following the trans America trail, it's a mapped cross country bicycle route. I bought a set of maps that literally have turn by turn directions heading both east and west between Virginia and Oregon. 

I'm riding a street machine recumbent bicycle and am carrying all my gear in 2 panniers (saddlebags) that hang behind the seat, as well as strapping some gear onto the rear rack. I have clothes, bike tools, a mess kit and stove, toiletries, a sleeping bag, and instead of a tent I brought a fancy hammock (with mosquito netting and rain tarp). I don't think I'll ever come across a place where I can't find 2 trees, but in case I can't, I have a sleeping pad and can build a lean to. As I write this I'm laying in my hammock strung between 2 wooden beams behind a fire house. Yes, they let us camp there. 

I'm traveling with 10 other people. Every night we plan the next days route and destination. We leave early in the morning and try to take afternoons off when it's hottest. Yesterday we rode 53 miles, today 63, and tomorrow is going to be a very hilly 30 miles. 

For food I've been cooking eggs and making egg sandwiches in the morning. I am trying to cook most of my food, but in rural Virginia I'm having an easier time finding gas stations and restaurants than I am grocery stores. They have surprisingly good Mexican food out in the sticks. 

My fully loaded bike:

4 comments:

  1. very cool alex, stay safe. I imagined a person with a car following you guy lugging equipment. This is way more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mr. Faitakes! No support can though I haul all of my gear.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice bike, Alex! Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi my grand son I wish you and gays good trip, be lucky.ROMAN

    ReplyDelete