Thursday, June 19, 2014

Day 7: Vesuvius to Lexington, VA

After yesterday's climb through the mountains we took an easier day today. 18 miles to Lexington, VA, (population 7,000) home of the Virginia military academy. 

This little guy came to say goodbye as we were leaving camp in the morning 

Dog did not want to pose for a picture however

In Lexington we said goodbye to Pat and Wayne, who are cycling ahead and want to go at a faster pace. Great guys and it was a pleasure riding with them. 

Pat and I

And yes I got my hair cut today. More aerodynamic. 

We're staying at the rural estate of a very kind family who is taking us in for the night. As my friend Cat said, "I only thought people lived in such pretty places in the movies". As I write this I'm sitting on their front porch looking at the mountains and cows and horses grazing. Fireflys are just starting to come out and I'm once again struck by just how beautiful Virginia is. 

And in another incredible coincidence, I ran into a former classmate from Binghamton here today. He's also doing a cross country ride with his buddy, and we just so happened to recognize each other. Small world. 

Also, a real honey comb. Mind=blown, I had only ever seen these on Cheerios boxes before. 

Cat, blogging away

Go out and travel, folks. Really travel. Take your time and meet locals along the way. The places you'll see and the people you'll meet will change your life. 

Goodnight!

No comments:

Post a Comment